Tissue Paper Owl
This Tissue Paper Owl combines two different ways of using your tissue paper to create a beautiful project. However you can chose to create your owl any way you want. That’s the beauty of art; there is no wrong way to do things. We even decided to make our Tissue Paper Owl a little more colorful than the ones you find in nature. So go ahead have fun!
A group of owls is called a parliament. This originates from C.S. Lewis’ description of a meeting of owls in The Chronicles of Narnia. Source: Audubon – 13 Fun Facts About Owls.
- Card Stock or Heavy Weight Paper
- White Glue
- Tissue Paper: 2 shades of blue, white, black & gold
- Paper Plate
- Cut the tissue paper in approximately 1″ squares. Exact measurement isn’t critical but they should be somewhat the same size.
- Print out either the color pattern or the black and white if you are using your own color scheme.
- I find it is best to cut the owl out first before starting to fill it in. It makes it easier to follow the shape.
- Pour a small quantity of glue on your paper plate. You don’t need a lot and you can always add more as you go along.
- Start with the smaller spaces first, like the eyes and the beak.
- I used the old fashioned method on the smaller sections just for some contrast. It takes longer and the little ones may get impatient. You know your child’s attention span. Take a square of tissue paper and roll it into a ball in your hand. Dip it in the glue and place it on the pattern. Go around the outside of the space first to help define the area.
- For the feathery parts of the owl, I used a newer method where you wrap the square of tissue around the eraser end of the pencil and dip it in the glue and place it on the pattern. This method goes much quicker as it fills more of the space at one time.
This craft doesn’t have to be done all at one time. You know your child. Don’t make it a chore but an adventure by setting certain time limits or goals and come back to it another day until complete.
Patterns, Templates and Printables
Click on a pattern to open it in a new window to print
Want to have some creative family time? Print out our SudBudz® Masks and get crafty with the kiddos! More than just a typical Fizzy Bath Ball, SudPrize® is a first ever line of skin-loving and natural bath products that make bath time Fun for Kids and Easy for Moms. A Free companion App, SudBudz® engages your children into an immersive world of special and unique characters called SudBudz®.
More from FreeKidsCrafts
Tags owl crafts