Advent Calendar of Giving
Our Advent Calendar of Giving is a good project for a family or a group. It’s a new take on an old tradition. Advent Calendars usually contain small gifts or candies for the kids. The concept of the Advent Calendar of Giving is for each child to fill a box of non perishables for a local food pantry as they count down to Christmas. Our church has each member of the confirmation class filling a box for the food pantry. January can often find the shelves empty; that’s why we are suggesting the boxes be delivered the first week of January. Whether it is a troop, a group or an individual, the food pantry will be grateful.
John van Hengel established St. Mary’s Food Bank in Phoenix, AZ as the nation’s first food bank in the late 1960’s. In its initial year, van Hengel and his team of volunteers distributed 275,000 pounds of food to people in need. Source: Feeding America – Our History
- White Paper
- Willing Hands
- Groceries as listed on Printable
- Sturdy Boxes
- Print out enough Advent Calendar of Giving printables as you need so each child has one.
- Have each child tape their calendar on the box.
- Going to the grocery store every day isn’t usually what families do so I would first suggest that you shop in your own pantry first. A roll of toilet paper, paper towels, soup etc are usually in the cupboard. Then make a list of supplies you need to fill out the list and collect over the four shopping weeks.
- As the kids add an item to the box each day have them mark it off until all the blocks are checked. It will allow them to express the love they have for the less fortunate.
- Of course check to see where your food pantries are and what hours they are open.
Patterns, Templates and Printables
Click on a pattern to open it in a new window to print
Want to have some creative family time? Print out our SudBudz® Masks and get crafty with the kiddos! More than just a typical Fizzy Bath Ball, SudPrize® is a first ever line of skin-loving and natural bath products that make bath time Fun for Kids and Easy for Moms. A Free companion App, SudBudz® engages your children into an immersive world of special and unique characters called SudBudz®.
More from FreeKidsCrafts
Tags group projects