Poppy Door Hanger
This Poppy Door Hanger is made from recycled plastic bottles, so while you are honoring our veterans you are also helping the environment. The poppy has been a symbol of remembrance since WWI when it was adopted as a symbol to honor those who had died or served their country in the armed forces.
The poppy is also known as the corn poppy, corn rose, field poppy, red poppy and red weed. The last name is revealing, for although this member of the poppy family produces a beautiful vivid red flower, it is classified as a weed. Source: Independent – The History of the Remembrance Poppy.
- Plastic Bottle
- Red Multi Surface Acrylic Paint
- Yellow Pony Beads
- Black Seed Beads
- Box Knife*
- Paint Brush
- Hot Glue or Tacky Glue
- Printable (below)
- Spread newspapers on your work surface.
- Have adult cut the bottom off of the plastic bottle*
- Paint the bottom of the bottle with red paint. Let Dry. Add second coat and let dry.
- Using the picture as a reference, glue one yellow pony bead in the center.
- Glue several back seed beads around the yellow bead as shown
- Print and cut out the leaves in the printable shown below and glue them to the under side of the poppy as shown.
- Form a loop with your cord and glue to the under side of the poppy using the picture as a reference.
Have someone contact your local veteran’s home or hospital to find a safe way to distribute these Poppy Door Hangers for veterans’ to know they are not forgotten.
Patterns, Templates and Printables
Click on a pattern to open it in a new window to print
Award your kids with an inexpensive and colorful Volunteer For Veterans Patch from MakingFriends.com. They can wear them, collect them or trade them.
Want to have some creative family time? Print out our SudBudz® Masks and get crafty with the kiddos! More than just a typical Fizzy Bath Ball, SudPrize® is a first ever line of skin-loving and natural bath products that make bath time Fun for Kids and Easy for Moms. A Free companion App, SudBudz® engages your children into an immersive world of special and unique characters called SudBudz®.
I love this idea!