Kwanzaa Yarn and Felt Ear of Corn
The corn or Muhindi at Kwanzaa symbolizes the children and the future. This Kwanzaa Yarn and Felt Ear of Corn is the perfect project to remind children of its place in the celebration.
Trivia: Muhindi (moo-heen’-dee) is the Corn which represents our children and our future. Source: My Daily Kwanzaa – Kwanzaa Symbols
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1” x 7” x 12” sheet (cut a larger, 1” x 12” x 36” sheet into several pieces for a group craft)
- Acrylic craft paint, black
- Thick yarn, yellow
- Felt square, green
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: Ribbon for hanging
- 1” stiff paintbrush
- Straight pins
- Thin wooden skewer
- Paint black the front and sides of the 1” x 7” x 12” sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Let dry.
- Position the corn cob pattern at an angle on the foam sheet and pin in place. Trace around the pattern with a pencil.
- Tuck yarn around the outline first, and then fill in the center of the corn cob. Here’s how to tuck in the yarn:
- Squeeze a very thin line of white craft glue, about 1” long, along the pencil outline.
- Position one end of the yarn on the glue, and using the wood skewer, insert the end straight into the foam sheet.
- Move about ¾” – 1” down the yarn strand, and tuck in the yarn again, about ½” from the first tuck. Don’t pull the yarn tight between the tucks – you want the excess yarn to create a small “pouf” like a corn kernel. Keeping the the yarn loose also helps hold the yarn in place; if you pull the yarn taut, it might pop out.
- Continue tucking in yarn to complete the outline, adding a small amount of glue as you go. You can use the glue sparingly, as the foam will also grip the yarn in place.
- Once the outline is complete, fill in the center with tucked yarn.
- If glue builds up on the skewer, wipe it off with a damp rag.
- Cut three leaves from green felt.
- Glue on the center leaf first, positioning it so that the top can fold over. (Refer to photo.)
- Glue on two side leaves, slightly overlapping them in the middle.
- Optional: If you’d like to hang your Kwanzaa Corn, knot together the ends of a 6” – 8” length of ribbon. Pin and glue the knot to the back of the picture.
Patterns, Templates and Printables
Click on a pattern to open it in a new window to print
STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam
STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam is widely available in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
Please visit Michaels, Jo-Ann Stores, Inc., Hobby Lobby, Walmart, A.C. Moore to find the store nearest you carrying genuine STYROFOAM Brand Foam.Visit us at http://www.styrofoamcrafts.com
Want to have some creative family time? Print out our SudBudz® Masks and get crafty with the kiddos! More than just a typical Fizzy Bath Ball, SudPrize® is a first ever line of skin-loving and natural bath products that make bath time Fun for Kids and Easy for Moms. A Free companion App, SudBudz® engages your children into an immersive world of special and unique characters called SudBudz®.
0 thoughts on “Kwanzaa Yarn and Felt Ear of Corn”