Chinese Dragon Puppet
Dragon head picture (below)
Stick to tie the dragon to (eg satay skewer or chopstick)
Streamers or coloured paper strips
1. Punch a hole into the base of each plastic cup by placing a blob of plasticine or wall tac under the cup and pushing a pencil through the bottom.
2. Cut the card rolls into pieces about 5cm long
3. Tie a large knot into the string and thread it into the cup and out the bottom.
4. Next thread on a piece of card roll.
5. Repeat with cups and card rolls until it reaches the desired length. Tie a large knot in the end of the string to secure the cups.
6. Draw and colour a dragon head or use one of the images provided below.
7. Cut out the heads and stick them to either side of the first cup.
8. Cut the streamers or coloured paper into lengths of approximately 30cm. Glue or tape the streamers along the length of the dragon’s body.
9. Punch a hole into the top of the head cup.
10. Punch another hole into a cup toward the end of the dragon’s body. (About 4th from the end)
11. Attach string from the holes to either end of the stick. Use the stick to manoeuvre the dragon puppet.
Use a photocopier to enlarge or shrink the dragon headsto fit your cup size.
This craft is reprinted courtesy of Jellyfish Jelly.
You might also enjoy making some of these crafts: