Melted Crayon Stained Glass Cross Sun Catcher Craft
This Melted Crayon Stained Glass Window Cross Sun Catcher is a new version of a popular craft. This particular craft is a family project because the tools and expertise of some portions require older teen or adult help. Each one will be unique and a treasured gift for someone in a nursing home or hospital and of course to display in your own home.
A metal, like lead, is used to make an outline of a stained glass picture, which is filled in with small pieces of colored glass. Colored glass is made by adding metal oxides, sulfides, or other compounds to the glass when it is in liquid form. Source: Wikipedia – Stained Glass
- Bits of crayon
- Warm iron (under adult supervision)
- Xacto knife and Scissors
- Tacky glue
- White Card Stock
- Black Card Stock (optional)
- Black Permanent Marker
- Waxed Paper
- Print out window pattern.
- I lay this pattern over black card stock and stapled outside the pattern and inside the pieces to be cut out to hold the pattern secure during the cutting. You can also color the white cardboard with the black marker if you prefer.
- I cut the inner parts of the window pattern with an Xacto knife because it was easier to get nice straight lines. After finishing I went along the edges with a black marker to eliminate the white lines that appeared at the cut line. Do not cut out the outside yet.
- Place a piece of wax paper over window pattern. Sprinkle crayon shavings (sparingly!) on wax paper following the design on the pattern. I decided to make the cross a different color but you can do it all one if you like. Don’t worry if some of the shavings cross over into other colors, it just adds interest.
- Place another piece of wax paper on top of shavings and a blank sheet of paper or a cloth over that. Gently press down with a warm iron. Crayon will melt quickly.
- Staple pattern to the crayon melted wax paper outside of the design area and cut out.
- Spread tacky glue sparingly on the pattern side and glue to the waxed paper butterfly. We have found that tacky glue is the only glue that adheres to waxed paper. *Note: If you really want to go all out you can cut out two of the patterns and sandwich the waxed paper between them so it looks beautiful on both sides.
- Punch a hole in the top of the window and thread fishing line through to enable it to be hung in the window or use a piece of double stick tape like I did.
Patterns, Templates and Printables
Click on a pattern to open it in a new window to print in the correct size
Want to have some creative family time? Print out our SudBudz® Masks and get crafty with the kiddos! More than just a typical Fizzy Bath Ball, SudPrize® is a first ever line of skin-loving and natural bath products that make bath time Fun for Kids and Easy for Moms. A Free companion App, SudBudz® engages your children into an immersive world of special and unique characters called SudBudz®.
0 thoughts on “Melted Crayon Stained Glass Cross Sun Catcher Craft”