DIY Tile Coasters
Paper for printing the papers;
Ruler and/or craft knife, scissors or paper trimmer;
Brush or sponge;
Small tiles – the ones I used were approximately 4″ (10 cm ) square;
Modge podge or PVA glue; and
Varnish or waterproof sealant.
I used Boutique collabs from the Digichick designer as my paper but there are many beautiful designs to choose from.
After printing two sheets of the paper, I cut them into 4″ squares, ready to fit onto the tiles.
Then I used a mix of PVA glue and water (half water and half glue):
This mix was then brushed all over the tile:
I placed a square of the printed paper onto the tile and then once it was placed correctly on the tile, I brushed it all over with the PVA mix. I made sure to cover all the printed square, even going over the edges to ensure it was completely adhered to the tile:
I allowed a day or so for the papers to dry before adding the cork matting to the tiles.
I cut the cork matting into 3¾” square pieces (a fraction smaller than the tile) and I used 100% PVA glue (not the 50/50 mix) to cover each mat:
You can actually see the pen lines above where I marked out the 3¾” squares prior to cutting out the cork.
I did have to use thick layer of glue as is soaked into the cork fairly quickly:
I then placed the cork on the back of the tile:
As you can see, I got quite carried away making the tiles!!! Well, since I had gone to all the trouble to cut out the cork (which was a real pain, to be honest as the cork (which was in a roll) kept rolling back up as I was trying to cut it out;) !) I thought I may was well use the whole box of tiles
Anyhow, this was the first lot of coasters I made, ready for the drying:
There were actually a further 12 tiles as I made these into Christmas gifts for friends and family, although I did use Stampin’ Up! paper on the other tiles.
The tiles needed to be pressed down really hard to ensure that the cork adhered firmly to the tile. I placed the tiles underneath a large (and heavy!) wallpaper book and left them to dry. You do need to use something heavy to keep the cork matting flat underneath the tile as it took about a week to dry the tiles. Mind you, my office is not necessarily the warmest of places so chances are, the tiles would have dried sooner in a warmer location.
When I was sure the tiles and cork were 100% dry, I covered the front of the tiles with a sealant.
The sealant dried clear and was to form a waterproof covering. I also brushed over some clear varnish just to make absolutely certain the tiles were waterproof.
All I had to do then was tie some ribbon around the tiles ready to give as a gift.
We are a team of hybrid artists from The Digichick Boutique, here to share with you our love of papercrafting. On our blog, you will find informative articles on cool little projects we've made combining digital scrapbooking supplies with paper, glue and scissors. We hope you find these hybrid creations to be as fun and addicting as we have and that you try them out for yourself!
Tags diy coasters