Cute Paper Mache Penguins
These cheery little Penguins will keep little hands busy and provide hours of happy smiles when finished.
Papier mache paste
Black permanent marker
Use a balloon to make a papier mache, click here for a step-by-step guide. The papier mache will dry within 2 to 3 days.
2. When the papier mache has completely dried, pop the balloon and widen the hole on the papier mache a little bit, just large enough for a funnel to get through (approximately ½ to 1 inch diameter). Remove the balloon latex as well.
3. Insert a funnel through the hole and pour ½ cup of sand into the papier mache.
4. The sand will allow the papier mache to balance and stand on its own. If it's still a bit wobbly, add a bit more sand until it is balanced.
5. Draw and cut out a pair of wings and feet out of cardboard.
6. Tape the wings and feet to the papier mache body with masking tape.
7. Papier mache over the hole on top as well as over the areas with masking tape. Allow the papier mache to dry.
8. Once dry, paint over the whole sculpture with acrylic paint.
9. Glue on any of these materials for the eyes and mouth
EYES - wiggle eyes, buttons, flat beads or round paper cut-outs
MOUTH- paint or paper cut-out
This project is reprinted courtesy of FirstPalette.com.
A free resource for fun and educational kids' crafts, the site features a step-by-step guide for each craft project and includes printable templates, art recipes, and environment-friendly tips for crafting.